Saturday, April 24, 2010

Direct Marketing

Direct marketing is the use of telecommunications and nonpersonal media to communicate product and organizational information to customers, who then can purchase products via mail, telephone, or the internet. It can occur through catalog marketing, direct response marketing, telemarketing, television home shopping and online retailing.
Catalog marketing is when a customer receives a catalog and is able to purchase a product through mail, telephone or the internet. When I was a kid there was no internet at our house so if we saw something we liked in a catalog we would place all our orders by mail or phone. Direct response marketing is when a retailer advertises a product and makes it available through mail or telephone orders. I've seen retailers advertise their products and offer a way to buy them but I've never actually purchased a product this way before.
Telemarketing is when everything is done by phone. It can help generate sales leads, improve customer service, speed up payments on past-due accounts, gather marketing data and raise funds for nonprofit organizations. Personally I hate telemarketing and unless it is a family memeber or a friend calling me, I wont answer the phone. Television home shopping is when products are presented to television viewers, who can buy them by calling a toll-free number and pay with a credit card. I have never done this personally but I see it on TV all the time. They always try to give you double the product if you call right away or within the next 10 min. This way of marketing drives me crazy, I'd love to watch a program without being bothered to buy something.
Online retailing is retailing that makes products available to buyers through computer connections. I do buy things online a lot because it's easier to go online then it is to drive to the store, especially if the store isn't around where I live. The shipping does take a little longer but for me it is totally worth the wait.

A lot of people are now seeing that companies are selling more products or have them in stock online rather then in the store. Do you agree with this? Have you ever gone into a store to buy something but it wasn't in stock so they told you to go online? What is your opinion on direct marketing?

No comments:

Post a Comment